Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Blood
You can reduce their risk of eye, kidney
and nerve diseases! "
The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial
(DCCT) showed that people with insulin-dependent diabetes who keep
blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible can reduce their
risk of eye, kidney and nerve diseases.
Ask your doctor how you can improve blood sugar control. Questions
you may want to ask include:
- What is my glycosylated hemoglobin (a test that measures average
blood sugar level over the past 2 to 3 months)? What is a normal
- How can I get my glycosylated hemoglobin in the normal range?
- How often and under what conditions should I test my blood
sugar? What should I do with the results? What patterns should
I try to achieve?
- What changes should we make in my program as a result of the
findings of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT)?
- Do I have microalbuminuria (detection of tiny amounts of albumin
in urine indicating early diabetic kidney disease)?
- What effect has diabetes had on my eyes and kidneys?
- When should I get together with a dietitian to review what
- What exercises are best for me? What adjustments to my food
or insulin should I make if I plan to exercise?
- What should my family and friends do if my blood sugar goes
so low that I need their help?
- (For women) What should I do about taking care of my diabetes
if I plan to become pregnant?
- How should I take care of my feet?
- Are there any diabetes groups that I could attend in our area?
For an information kit write:
National Diabetes Outreach Program
One Diabetes Way
Bethesda, Maryland 20892-3600
CALL 1-800-GET LEVEL
This information is provided by the National Diabetes Information
Clearinghouse, a service of the National Institute of Diabetes
and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
American Diabetes Association
Children with Diabetes
End - Lands' End quality and service are a click
away in our Store. It has classic clothes for men,
women, kids, items for your home, as well as luggage,
high-performance outerwear and more.
- Buy direct from IBM. Personal computers, servers,
software and more - all available for purchase online.